Friday, January 21, 2011

Film Photography

Finally.. I am posting some of my film photography! Its been a long time coming.. so I'm glad its FINALLY HERE! haha!

These pictures are a little funny.. because I scanned them in and the scanner did some weird things to them.. 

Basically for those of you who don't know.. I took these with my film camera, with FILM. Then I went to my school and with out exposing it to light,  I put it into a changing bag, and then into a tank( a light sealed container so no light can get in) then you go through a series of chemicals to develop your film and seal it onto the negative strip.
After the negatives dry out.. you can make enlargements.  Thats what these pictures are, enlargements from my negatives.
These are made in the darkroom, on special light sensitive paper, using an enlarger. 


I have seriously loved every minute in the darkroom. It takes ALOT longer than digital prints.. but it teaches patience. And when you have that final picture in your hands.. it is so fulfilling. and it feels like YOURS. You not only took the photo.. but developed the film.. picked the negative, made at least 3 or 4 test strips and then your final print. This photo is controlled by you in as MANY possible ways as possible. 
Don't get me wrong.. I love digital photography too.. but darkroom helps me be a better digital photographer


So.. with out further ado.. here are some of my scanned in enlargements =D





This is from my roll of Light and Movement film
This next picture I hand colored.
Which means that I painted in the colors.. its something that some of the first photographers did.. and is really cool..

This next photo.. I was experimenting. It was originally really grey.. with out a lot of contrast.
So I burnt the edges.. and then soaked it in tea for two days. 
I thought it turned out pretty cool!






Hope you enjoyed these pictures and learning a little bit more about photography!

2 comments:

  1. GREAT that you organized and posted a bunch of b&w work here...your blog site is so thorough and thoughtful and fun and creative - love the energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I really like how my blog looks.. I try to post often, cause a bunch of people check up on me =D

    ReplyDelete